Friday, June 27, 2008

Storm hits too close to home

Today is Kaeleigh's first birthday... pictures will be posted soon.

As a precurser to the celebration we were visited by a monster wind storm. My account of the events...

It's around 4pm, I'm vacuuming, Mike's on the computer in the basement and the older kids are out riding their bikes. The warning siren sounds which is confusing because we didn't know of any severe weather today. The kids come barrelling in the front door...they think a tornado is coming.
The news station reports a wind storm coming with winds 70-90mph and large hail. The clouds coming over head were amazing, i'd never seen clouds move so fast. We had the kids on their way to the basement and I remembered my flip-flops on the deck and naturally didn't want them to blow away. I stuck my head outside and pulled them inside but in doing so I heard the wind coming. It was so loud I thought it was a tornado. All five of us crammed into the basement closet and weathered some scary noises. We took a look out the window and visability was zero. Then came the hail and I was sure that the windows would break and the Jeep was sitting in the driveway which Mike thought would have damage (it didn't).

The aftermath was quite surreal. Walmarts fence behind our house was blown down in places, our trampolene had been picked up and moved over (first time that's happened), leaf debris was plastered on everyones houses, reports of traffic lights knocked down and trailers blown over and we had water runoff cascading down our street not to mention the drifts of marble sized hail everywhere. We have friends who live close to us who lost their fences and got windows smashed. There are some homes by our church building that suffered severe damage.

Here are some videos of the damage to our property and the homes in our neighbourhood.





4 comments:

Bev said...

Bless you are not having a good time with the weather at the moment,and here I am complaining it is a bit hot!! Hope things all went ok for Kaeleighs birthday though.

Karen said...

Yes, thanks Kaeleigh's birthday was fun. I'm hoping for better weather during the rest of the season but I think it's wishful thinking!

Maryanne said...

Wow Karen!! All I can say is wow! We live 7 years in "tornado alley" and I know first-hand how completely terrifying a storm like that can be. I'm so glad that everyone is safe and that you didn't have any damage (other than the sad plants - oh! and that poor bunny!!).

Karen said...

Thanks Maryanne. It was sad about the bunny but at least we didn't have ground squirrels twitching on the driveway like a friend of mine!