Monday, June 16, 2008

Day Trip to Winter Quarters



(below) This violin belonged to Mike's great great great grandfather, Isaac Morley who was friends with Joseph and Emma Smith. Isaac let the Smiths live in a cabin on his farm which is where they delivered and lost their twins. He endured persecution in Nauvoo and lost his first wife at winter quarters where she is now buried. I love having that close tie to the pioneers whom I admire so much. Isaac played the violin all during the journey across the plains to the Salt Lake valley.



(below) This is Brigham Young's cane (maybe a replica?)


Aren't they all so cute together?



My friend Karen and I took our kids to the Mormon Trail Center which is a short ride across town. The weather couldn't have been more lovely. We learnt about the pioneers and enjoyed the beauty of the cemetary. Our kids had fun playing hide and seek while we sat on a bench with our babies and talked.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

karen I LOVE this bit of your blog, I would so love to go to Nauvoo. How blessed you are to see all this. I am such a visual person so although I enjoy reading about the history of the church it would be wonderful to actually SEE it all. Love ya' bx