Sunday, October 26, 2008

My First Convention

It's THE inspirational event you don't want to miss. TIME OUT FOR WOMEN is not a conference. It's not a formal gathering. It's not church. But it IS a day designed for women who might need a break or want a chance to regroup and rediscover all that's good. This year we're uncovering the JOYFUL LIFE that is waiting for you to more fully enjoy.



Friday Night:

Ardeth KappFormer Young Women General President; board of directors, Deseret Book Company and Southern Virginia University; author, Better Than You Think You Are
"OUR PART IN THE PLAN"

Jenny Oaks BakerMaster of Music, Juilliard; first violinist for seven years for the National Symphony Orchestra; award-winning recording artist
"IN CONCERT:"





Saturday:

Kenneth CopeSinger; songwriter; producer; composer; multiple Pearl Award winner; albums include Greater Than Us All, Women at the Well. and his newest release, All About You
"Musical Performance"

Mary Ellen EdmundsFormer director of training, Missionary Training Center; Former faculty, College of Nursing (BYU); author, Love Is a Verb and Peculiar In a Good Way
"...And Let it Begin With Me"

Cherie CallSinger, songwriter, and multiple time Pearl Award Winner; albums include He Gives Flowers to Everyone and Beneath These Stars
"Musical Performance"

Pam HansenWomen's Advisory Council, Internmountain Health Care; weight loss/management instructor; author Running with Angels and Finding the Angel Within
"Finding Joy in the Mirror"

Elia Gourgouris, Ph.D.Success coach and President of LDSCoaching.com; Ph.D. in Psychology, UCLA; recently released talk on cd DTR: What You Should Know Before You Get Married. Visit Elia at AskDrElia.com
"Creating More Joyful Relationships"
HOME EVENTS BOOK CLUB CONTACT USPowered by DeseretBook.com© 2003-2007 Time Out for Women




Jenny Oaks Baker absolutely blew me away with her talent. She's so adorable I just wanted to run up there a give her a hug. She was full of grace and humility but also showed us how normal she is. We could all relate to her but at the same time were in awe of her talent.



Kenneth Cope.



Cherie Call. Her voice and mannerism reminds me of Jodie Foster.

I wasn't sure if I would come away with anything that would help me in my life but actually I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed every speaker and musical performer, each one was great and had a special message to share.
They said a few things which helped me to re-focus my thoughts and feelings.
I left the convention feeling emotionally and physically drained but with a newfound understanding of some things which I was struggling with personally. Maybe now I can tweak those things and find improvement; where before I found only baracades hindering my progression towards a better me.
I'm grateful to my loving Heavenly Father who provided a way for me to attend this event and give me exactly what I need to endure a difficult time in my life.
A huge thank you to Mike for taking care of our kids so that I could be recharged and refreshed.
Love You xxx





















5 comments:

Anne said...

Karen,

I'm glad you liked it! It was so wonderful. I hope they have one here in Omaha again. I'm tempted to go to the one in KC next fall. Thanks for going with me!

Maryanne said...

Karen, did you know that Jenny Oaks Baker is Kathleen McLaren's first cousin? Her dad Dallin H. Oaks and Kathleen's dad are brothers!

We were at Knott's Berry Farm a couple of years ago and we were standing in line for a ride and we got to talking with the couple standing right behind us who noticed John's Utah shirt. They said that were both from Utah but now they live somewhere on the East coast. I asked the husband what took them East and he said, "Well, my wife here is in the National Symphony Orchestra." So I said to her, "Oh that's great, what do you play?" She said the violin, and that's when it hit me! I just sat and looked at her and said, "Okay, I can't believe I didn't recognize you - you are Jenny Oaks Baker aren't you?!" And yes she was. We had a great visit with them. She was SO humble and darling :o)

Karen said...

What a neat experience.

My mom got to talk to her for a minute and told her that we know her family.

Kathleen's parents are here.
Pres. Oaks is our Temple President; my parents are good friends with them.

Mum also got to drive Kenneth Cope, Cherie Call and Pam Hansen to the airport. I asked her what they talked about and she said
"They were mostly interested about what part of England I am from".

It was a really great weekend :)

Maryanne said...

Oh ya.....duh! I do know that Kathleen's parents are there at the temple. But just wasn't thinking (which is common for me), and certainly didn't think to ask if you (or your parents) know them personally! That's so fun!

And how fun that your mom got to be the chauffeur to the airport. How did she get that gig? And I can certainly understand them wanting to know about where she is from in England. Whenever I meet someone with a british accent I am all over it! Wanting to know exactly where they are from and that's all I want to talk about! Sometimes they get into it with me and sometimes I think it's a little annoying, like "can we please talk about something else?!"

Joni said...

Wow, I so wish I could have been there. I went to the one in Kansas City a couple of years ago and loved it!

It's just not the same going to those kinds of things in Utah.

And I'm so jealous you got to see Cherie Call. She's one of my favorites.

But most of all - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, YOU GORGEOUS THING! I hope you have a really great day.