Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Locks of Love

My hair grows at a snail's pace. I've been letting it grow out for over 2 years, yes you heard it right, 2 years of slow growth. After delivering my third baby I experienced some thining of my hair line and bacame very worried and selfconsious. I'm pleased to report that my hair has fully recovered but I have not forgotten the feeling of helplessness that my hair might never grow back.
I thought alot about girls and women who've lost all their hair and how unfeminine they must feel. I'd heard of girls donating hair to others who have lost their own and decided that I would do it too. Afterall it will just get swept up and thrown in the garbage. For someone who is without hair and watching it being discarded can only feel like a homeless person watching a restaurant throw out food - a waste.
I know, I know, don't be so melodramatic Karen. It just feels good to know that I will help put a smile on a child's face or give someone their confidence.


For those of you interested in donating hair, here is some info from the website www.locksoflove.org
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

HOW TO DONATE
10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
Hair must be in a ponytail or braid before it is cut.
Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed in.
Place the ponytail or braid inside of a plastic bag, and then inside of a padded envelope.
Fill out the hair donation form, or write your name and address on a separate sheet of paper and include inside the envelope.
All hair donations must be mailed to Locks of Love at:
234 Southern Blvd.West Palm Beach, FL 33405

4 comments:

Kris said...

You have such gorgeous hair! Marci has donated hers 3 times. Good for all of you selfless hair-givers.

Joni said...

Someone will be lucky to get your gorgeous hair.

I tried to this once and was very disconcerted to hear that they would not take my hair because it had been color treated.

I think some places will, but you have to make sure before you do it.

Karen said...

Thanks ladies:)
I always hated my hair color growing up. It's not very glamorous having red hair in england,red heads are teased alot.
I have grown to love it though and appreciate the uniqueness.

It didn't come from a bottle ;)

Anne said...

What a wonderful thing to do Karen! Do you love the short hair? Can't wait to see it!